Thursday, April 17, 2008

Yum... Cafe Rio Chicken Tacos

Ok so I TOTALLY love Cafe Rio but hate how BIG every meal is (and I always want to eat too much there). So after trial and error, I have found the best recipes (to me, of course) and closest tasting for sure! These are sooooooo yummy and I have simplified most of them. Double the Rice and Chicken if you have a big family, this is tons for us though. I have left overs for days with this amount.

Cafe Rio Rice-
1 c. rice (not instant)
2 Tabls. chicken bouillon
2 c. water
3/4 c. salsa verde (ex. Herdez Salsa Verde or LaSabrozita Salsa Casera Verde(a little spicier then Herdez)).
1 handful chopped cilantro
1 Tabls. butter

Add all ingredients, bring to boil, let boil for a minute or so. Then cover and simmer on the lowest setting your stove goes to for like 30 minutes.

Cafe Rio chicken-
1/2 bottle of Zesty Italian Dressing
1/2 Tabls. chilli powder
1/2 Tabls. cumin
1-2 cloves garlic or a heaping teasp. of the pre-minced stuff
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I put them in frozen)

Put all ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for about 3 1/2 - 4 hours, then shred the chicken with 2 forks, and cook another 1/2 hour or so. Until it's soaked up all the dressing.

Tomatillo Ranch Dressing
(I got this recipe off 24 Hour Menu, Thanks it' s sooooo yummy).
Can't forget the dressing. This actually does taste like the Cafe Rio house dressing.

1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 C mayonnaise
1 C chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic
3 tomatillos (or some more salsa verde, probably like a 1/2 cup, maybe a little more)
1/3 C buttermilk
1/4 t cayenne pepper
Put all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.Refrigerate until you are ready to use.

I always buy the tortilla shells that you have to cook and the Romain Hearts from Costco. I promise this is sooooooooo good!!!

4 comments:

Josh and Michele said...

It sounds so funny, but my husband is going to be so excited about this recipe. He has been trying to make Cafe Rio rice forever and just can't quite get it right. He is close though. He adds lime juice to his and it is good. So Thank You!

jaesi said...

Im trying this chicken. Post it on 24 hour menu

The Colvins said...

Erin-I can't believe you have two boys already--me too! I found your blog from a friend of a friend. It's s fun to see everyone from the student ward. -Kelly

Lora Lovell said...

I am getting hungry just thinking about it. Yummy! Those tortillas from Costco is our family favorite...we use them for everything; breakfast burritos, tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and even cinnamon/sugar dessert things...anyway, I will give these recipes a try! Thanks!